Monday, May 16, 2016

Gear: Montbell Peak Rain Jacket

I liked the Montbell down jacket so much, I decided to go with their Peak Rain Jacket as well.  While it doesn't rain that often in the Annapurna region in October, it is still worth getting some good rain gear.  I always like to be prepared when it comes to rain gear, as I know first-hand how unpleasant it is to hike in wet gear.  I probably struggled the most in finding a good rain jacket for the trip than any other piece of gear.  I tried out the super light Patagonia Stretch Torrentshell first.  We tested it out over a rainy weekend in Colorado.  Unfortunately, the Patagonia Stretch Torrentshell did not stand up to a sustained rain and eventually soaked through (mainly in the forearm area as it may not have been designed for hiking with trekking poles where your arms are straight out).  The next jacket I tried was the Mountain Hardware Plasmic Ion.  I didn't take this one out for a field test as it felt too stiff and rubbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment